Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Posture


At my chiropractor this morning, I learned that the cause behind the soreness in my upper back was my neck bones being out of place. I dug more deeply into the subject because the bones in my neck are out of place every time I go to the chiropractor. I’m one of those people who LOVES to have their neck “cracked” so I wasn’t overly motivated to find reasons to lessen the frequency of this experience. But I knew I needed to get to the bottom of this so I pushed further and asked how I can improve the situation. As it turns out, these bones come out of place most often due to a downward head posture. Laptops, texting, reading a book in your lap – basically things I do all day long, every day – pull the bones in the neck out of place and affect the nerve supply to the whole upper back region of the body. By consciously adjusting my head up, I can help my neck and back be more healthy.

Leaders have the difficult job of multi-tasking. We need to look up in life and business in order to see what’s coming and prepare for it. But we also need to operate “heads down” in much of life in order to get things done. The physical body is designed to be able to do both of these postures effectively BUT – when we spend too much time with our heads down, things get out of place. The result can be very painful and require corrective action.

In which areas are you spending too much time with your head down?

Where do you frequently feel blind-sided by events and circumstances?

How can you improve your ability to be INTENTIONAL about your leadership posture?

Lean forward,

Bekka

No comments:

Post a Comment