Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Gratitude


Leaders are often accused of being insatiable. Nothing is ever enough. We are always looking ahead to the next goal, the next benchmark or the next new development. While necessary, I think this character trait of pushing the boundaries and living ahead of the curve often bends leaders toward a lack of gratitude. I know that I have a tendency to favor pushing forward over pausing to reflect and be thankful for the present – whether that involves progress, achievement or rest. I also know that if I tend toward this myself, those I lead feel it as well. If I’m not careful, I can portray an attitude of one who is never satisfied – one who is ungrateful.

How can you practically show gratitude to someone you lead today?

When was the last time you said “thank you” for another’s effort WITHOUT immediately talking about the next thing to reach for?

When was the last time you paused to reflect with a feeling of gratitude on the last 30 days and the accomplishments you’ve made personally?

Lean forward,

Bekka

No comments:

Post a Comment